My Dreamy, Creamy Mac & Cheese
If you have never had Mac & Cheese before, I’m so sorry that your culinary experiences has been lacking thus far, however I am here and I am prepared with a recipe to CHANGE YOUR LIFE… or y’know, to give you something tasty to try.
Now this is just how I like to cook Mac & Cheese, it might not be how you make it or you may want to add or change something, but that s entirely up to you. Feel free to tweek and adjust any recipes I post and then please do let me know what you did. Post a comment bellow or tag me in a picture of your culinary creation on line. You can find me at @ConnieunKiga and if you use the hashtag #CookingWithConnie I will be able to find you better.
Ingredients – 재료
3 slices good-quality bread
225g macaroni pasta (can use others is you don’t have macaroni)
55g unsalted butter
30g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
225g grated cheese of your choice and a thumb size amount of Parmesan cheese
*add spices as desired*
**6 slices Streaky Bacon, diced, if you want some extra decadence**
Method – 조리법
1. So first of all you are going to need to warm up your oven. My oven works to Degrees Celsius, and I set it to 200 degrees. For different ovens it should be 400 DEGREE F, or gas level 6, so you want it moderately hot.
2. Next, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Cook the macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, this should take about 8 minutes. Then drain and set aside for the time being.
3. Melt your butter in a separate saucepan over medium heat; and gradually stir in flour, salt and pepper (and any spices you might want, I like a bit of paprika and a tiny pinch of chilli powder) until smooth, this takes about 5 minutes. DON’T dump all the flour in at once cause not only will it make a little flour mushroom cloud, which will go all over you, but it makes it more likely that your roux will get lumpy and there will be dry clumps of flour in your sauce… I learned this the hard way…
4. Slowly pour milk into butter-flour mixture while continuously stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbling, again this takes about 5 minutes. Emphasis again on the slowly. Nothing worse than lumpy sauce.
5. Add your cheese to milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted. Now you can use any cheese you like for your own recipe, personally I like a combination of Cheddar and Gruyere. It is important that you grate the cheese beforehand as it helps the cheese to melt smoothly and avoids clumps and burnt bits at the bottom of the pan. It will take 2 to 4 minutes for the cheese to melt.
6. Fold your cooked macaroni into cheese sauce until coated with ooey, gooey, cheesy loveliness. Then pour the cheesy pasta into casserole dish.
7. If you want to include bacon, start cooking your diced bacon in a frying pan until crispy. Remove from the pan and pat dry any excess oil with a paper towel. Sprinkle half the bacon pieces on top of the macaroni and cheese. Stir slightly to combine and then sprinkle the remaining bacon on top.
8. Toast your bread slices in a toaster or in the oven until lightly golden in colour. I like using sourdough bread as it makes especially crunchy toast. Tear into pieces and then blitz them, and the Parmesan, in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor you can buy ready made breadcrumbs and finely grated Parmesan and mix them together in a bowl. Sprinkle your breadcrumb/Parmesan mix on top of the macaroni and cheese and then put the casserole dish in the oven. For extra flavours I sometimes add halved cherry tomatoes on top of the macaroni before sprinkling on Breadcrumbs. You could also cooked spinach if you wanted. Bake until browned on top, about 20 minutes and then transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, if you can bear to wait that long, and once cool enough serve.
And there we have it. My recipe for Dreamy, Creamy Mac & Cheese. It’s perfect to eat out of a bowl, curled up on your sofa watching something rubbish on TV. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
Let me know what you think in the comments! 당신의 의견을 저에게 알려주십시오. 코멘트해 주세요!
follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Connienkiga